PENC strives to offer our members excellent opportunities to take advantage of with each membership year. Many of you may have noticed changes to our website and PENC member portal. We are excited to announce that we have a new website and database which will offer our members an Anniversary date membership! That’s right—your membership will be active a year from the date you join/renew! Don’t forget to check in with us to make sure that you have coverage in the classroom—signing up is quick and easy!
Scholarships & Grant Opportunities
We are now accepting applications for the following scholarships and grants offered by PENC! Apply today!
- NCCAT Subs on Us Grants: PENC offers grants to cover the cost of a substitute teacher for up to five school days while members attend a program at NCCAT.
- Continuing Education Scholarships: PENC awards $500 scholarships to Educator level members who pursue graduate studies in education or leadership. The deadline to submit applications is January 31, 2020.
- Professional Development Scholarships: PENC offers grants up to $250 each to members who plan to pursue professional development opportunities. The deadline to submit applications is January 31, 2020.
- New Teacher Grants: PENC awards $250 grants for members in their first three years of practice who demonstrate a need for instructional supplies that will have a direct impact on student learning. The deadline to submit applications is January 31, 2020.
- National Board Scholarships: PENC is offering four scholarships of $250 each to members who are currently working in pursuit of their initial or renewal National Board Certification. Inital | Renewal The deadline to submit applications is June 19, 2020.
- Children of Members Scholarships: PENC awards scholarships of $500 each to children of PENC members in good standing. Scholarships will be awarded to applicants who graduate from a high school or GED program and are enrolled as a full-time college student by the fall semester of the calendar year in which they earn the scholarship. The deadline to submit applications is January 31, 2020.
Applications and deadline information can be found online at .
We have upcoming opportunities for you to attend a National Board and/or HELPS Literacy Workshop sponsored by PENC. You can register by clicking the available dates below.
National Board Workshops
We will be offering numerous FREE National Board Workshops throughout this membership year. The tentative schedule for 2019-20 National Board workshops is below. Please click the date below to register. To learn more about our National Board Workshop presenter, Dr. Glennda McKeithan, click here.
2019-20 National Board Workshop schedule:
January 18, 2020 – Envisions Science Academy – Click HERE for details.
March 14, 2020 – Eastern Wayne High School – Click HERE for details.
April 4, 2020 – Greensboro College School of Education – Click HERE for details.
HELPS Literacy Workshops
The Helping Early Literacy with Practice Strategies (HELPS) Program is an easy-to-use reading program that has been demonstrated in numerous, published research studies to improve students’ fluency and comprehension. HELPS can be implemented one-on-one or in small groups and is shown to be effective when used for only 10 minutes per day, three times per week. To learn more about HELPS please visit www.helpsprogram.org. Registration is open—check out our upcoming workshops below.
2019-20 HELPS Workshop Schedule:
January 13 & 15, 2020 – Small Group two-part training, Research Triangle Park, NC –
February 22, 2020 – One-On-One Training, TBD, Winston-Salem, NC
March 7, 2020 – One-On-One Training, Raleigh, NC –
March 28, 2020 -One-On-One Training, Goldsboro, NC-
Please visit www.pencweb.org/workshops for more information.
Discounts & Deals
PENC offers our members various discounts and deals from car rental discounts to theme park deals and more! If you are a current member, please click HERE to access the member discounts and deal information and codes. You will be prompted to enter an access code which has been sent to all members. If you cannot locate the access code, please call our office at 919-788-9299 or email email@example.com.
Traveling for the holidays? Save on your car rentals with your PENC membership! Click HERE to access that rental discounts and more!
Young Artists Competition – ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS!
PENC (Professional Educators of North Carolina), a professional association that serves as THE Voice for educators in policy-making, the forum for developing professional relationships and the advocate for improving the learning environment for every educator and student, is currently accepting electronic entries for its 9th annual Young Artists Competition. The goal of this project is to highlight the hard work of North Carolina’s teachers and their students.
Six works of art will be selected as the winning entries by a PENC panel of judges. The pieces will be duplicated for display in our Raleigh office, on the PENC website and may be used in future publications. The six winning entrants will receive an award of $50.00 and a certificate of achievement from PENC. The teachers will be presented with a certificate, gift bag and gift certificate for art supplies at the fall 2019 Executive Board Meeting. PENC is looking forward to the wonderful work from all around our great state.
The Young Artists Competition is open to all North Carolina Educators and from all disciplines. For more information, submission guidelines, etc please visit www.pencweb.org/young-artists-competition. Deadline for submissions is 5 pm Friday, May 29, 2020.
For more information and to view the 2019 Young Artist winners and highlight reel, click HERE.
Download the Young Artist Competition submission form to use with your art entry DOWNLOAD HERE.